Details of the Christie.

Christie Cinema Organ opus 2956 was built by the firm of William Hill & Son, Norman & Beard in 1935 for the Century (later Essoldo) Cinema, Clacton-on-Sea.  It contained the following seven ranks of pipes.  Diapason, Tuba Horn, Orchestral Trumpet, Tibia Clausa, Vox Humana, Concert Flute and Viole D’Orchestra spread over a three manual console. 

It was purchased by ILOMS in 1967 and installed above the stage in the sanctuary at Castle Hill United Reformed Church opening in November 1971.  Since then much restoration work has been carried out and four more ranks of pipes have been added: Clarinet, Muted Strings II and Kinura.  A rare Christie Post Horn is in the process of being added.  These together with four sets of tuned percussion and various non-tonal percussions provide a diverse tonal pallet capable of playing a wide range of music.

If you have never heard a cinema organ or remember the interludes from the great days of cinema, come along on a Sunday afternoon and prepare to be ENTERTAINED!